Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Give me eyes so I can see a.k.a il fait noire, noire, noire , je veux voire voire voire !


We made it to Port Angeles just fine! It’s quite beautiful here. It’s quite neat to see up-close the stray of mountains that we usually view from Victoria. Clearing custom was a drag (those people take there sweet time!), but surprisingly easy. Couple of house standard questions, showing of fruits, did we have tobacco? alcohol? But not even a small little search!?! To think the custom lady didn’t even bother to leave the cockpit blew my mind! I mean, looking closer she would have come across Scott’s coke stash and my marijuana plant: P (parents: I AM JUST KIDDING). No wind, but the weather was amazingly warm and sunny yesterday, so we basically motored the whole time. We haven’t really hit the open ocean yet so it is really a breeze to cruise around. Luckily, the motion queasiness hasn’t yet hit either, so the crew says “yeah” for that!

After the fueling up and getting some grocery items, we are in for are first overnight trip, destination àNeah Bay. Just to give you guys an idea, Neah Bay is situation right before Cape Flattery, right before we actually start heading where we really want to go… SOUTH! It is 10h20pm and were ready to roll. I am doing the first part of the trip from 12h to 3am and Scott’s is doing the second shift of 3am to 6am. We calculated we shall be there around 6, 7ish. Its 11: 50 and I can feel Scott is a bit worried to let me in charge by my lonesome. It’s our first time we try the “shift system” thing and we both know I’ve never really been left driving the boat by myself (if only for Scott’s 30 min powernaps). It’s good though because it’s an amazingly clear night, there is no wind again so will just motored and Mister self-steered is preciously handy at this time. “If there’s ANYTHING baby you let me know, wake me up I’ll be right there”, and believe you me I will and would wake him, but first I want him to go to bed so I can get my share of sleeping when 3am rolls by! So down he goes…

This is what you think about when you are left with yourself at sea, IN THE DARK: First you say a couple of Hail Mary’s, what the heck you have nothing to loose. Then you sing your Grade 3 choral song that you got to sing solo, what the heck it’s the only song you know by heart. Then you go through your yoga class in your head cuz you already miss it SO VERY much (if only for its warmth) and after each visualized posture you peak you head up.

Peaking your head up consist of looking for 1) any kind of lights ahead 2) see if any considerably BIG fraters, spacious yacht, cruise ship, ferries, run down fish liner, cute sailboat, whales, logs (basically ANY foreign moving object) is coming towards us 3) looking on the GPS our current position, if we’re still on course, our speed etc. Oh, don’t forget its nitty night, and DARK doesn’t justify being this DARK and excuse my french but when all's said and done, you don’t see s**t out there. You see,

during broad daylight you set your eyes on des points de repere, but at night, there are none. You are left with your faithful GPS, intuition, and might I add, frozen fingers. Despite of all these facts, there is something astonishing about tonight. I have never seen this many stars in my whole life. To add to the brilliance, I get startled by more then 10 shooting stars, I swear!! My only wish for all of them: give me eyes so I can see a.k.a voire dans le noire. : )

Of course you know that Scott woke up at both 1 am and 2h30am. Nervousness, may be? Fair enough, its hard to rest when a motor is totally loudly roving…but more so, the uneasiness to leave your loyal vessel alone with your not-so-professional-expert-sailing partner must be somewhat disconcerting. In the end, Scott took over at 2h30 and it was time for me to go for my beauty rest.

Dare I say it’s quite auspicious to wake up and be in this completely new environment. Scott is happy we made it but I can see he needs sleep. He didn’t woke me up at 6, instead just kept going because he knew we were going to get anchor soon. Now he’s sleeping and I am typing this, realizing we are really in for it now. It’s really happening and we are really doing this trip. What a life!

p.s: For all the people that I didn’t call back before leaving, I am so SORRY

p.p.s: Warning: This blog will contain massive spelling and grammar error. For once in my life I refuse to send this to my mom for correction…. 4 years of this charade was enough : )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Adventure has begun!!!!

Unknown said...

Alexis is helping me with this first comment; so you should get it shortly. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading your blog and I wish I had the time to correct it but the errors are NOT errors of communication - just tiny little spelling and grammatical errors...You must keep paper copies of these blogs because they are REALLY super well written!

maman

Anonymous said...

Hello Estelle & Scott

Exciting to read your adventure...what an incredible experience! Estelle during the night keep your inner vision open...this will expand your vision in the darkness...I am sure you are good at this. Scott ...you can relax and sleep... you are in the company of a Star that can intuit from within!
Having this feeling of wholeness with the multitude of stars or the infinite of the blue ocean....is an awareness of the movement of consciousness ....Which is great!
Both have a good time!
Paul-PaPa

Anonymous said...

Hello Estelle & Scott

I went on Google Earth, online...to map your trajectory. I could even find pictures of Port Angeles...interesting and exciting to follow your trip and be connected !